About Dr. Sanchez
Derek started his interest in the field of sports medicine in 1993. After a sports related injury ended his football career, he joined the sports medicine team of the San Antonio Texans (C.F.L. Canadian Football League). His injuries were treated by Athletic Trainer Bernie LaReau, (Former Therapist/Athletic Trainer for the Chicago Bears, San Antonio Spurs, Indiana Pacers, San Antonio Texans CFL). The seed was planted! Mr. LaReau welcomed Derek to join his team of Physical Therapist and Trainers which began his exposure to the world of rehabilitation and sports medicine.
Through Derek’s journeys of Coaching/Teaching/Athletic Training and his true calling to help people, the hunger grew to complete the field of medicine he had desired….Physical Therapy! After 15 years of sports related injuries and 10 years of sports medicine rehabilitation experience, Derek graduated from The University of Texas Health Science Center in San Antonio with a Masters degree in Physical Therapy. He continued his education and, after 7 years, Derek returned to receive his doctorate in Physical Therapy. He did this to provide the best healing environment for his patients possible.
Due to his own experience with injuries, pain and surgeries, Derek takes your healing very personal! With a true passion for helping people, 20 years of sports medicine experience, and evidence based medicine and manual therapy, Derek is looking forward to returning you to yourself!
- Doctorate of Physical Therapy (University of Texas Health Science Center San Antonio, 2013)
- Masters of Physical Therapy (UTHSCSA 2005)
- B.A. Medicine and Health Education(UTHSCSA)
- B.A. Exercise Sports Science (St. Mary University)
- B.A. Biology (St. Mary’s University)
- B.A. Biomechanics (St. Mary’s University)
- Adjunct Professor of Biomechanics (St. Mary’s University)
- Clinical Instructor (St. Philips College)